Monday, April 30, 2012

Dividend Investing - Month 2

April was a good month with decent dividend growth. The portfolio experienced a 13.61% increase in the average monthly dividend!  Very exciting, I'm also happy that my REIR investing technique has been helpful in keeping me within reach of my goal: to be debt free (except mortgages) within a year. 


To continue the balance adjustment of the portfolio I liquidated a few shares of Wal-Mart (WMT) and now had some free cash for a good purchase.  About a week later the stock tumbled a bit from the accusations of the "Mexico Scandal."  I got lucky in 2 ways:  1-prevented a big hit on my portfolio value and 2-since I have shares purchased regularly they are now discounted =).

I decided to give Aflac (AFL) a green light, watched it drop 1-2%  daily until a purchase was made just under 41$ per share.  Once earnings were reported, the stock shot up 7+% shortly after.  Again, I got lucky.


Disclaimer: I am not a financial planner, advisor, or accountant. The financial actions mentioned were only suited for my own risk tolerance, strategy, and ideas. Copying another's financial moves can lead to large losses. Each person needs to do their due diligence in researching and planning their own actions in the financial markets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment